Laos is one of the three countries in Indochina and the close friends of Vietnam. Laos is also known as “The country of million elephants“, which is a romantic place adorned by the Mekong River as a precious piece of hidden treasure that has not been discovered by tourists in four directions. It is included Indochina vacation packages.
Lao history is referred to by the love story of King Pha Ngum and Princess Kieu Lac in Cambodia. He was once a violent, devout, but after marrying a princess who was deeply influenced by Buddhist thought, the king changed his attitude and became a king all people love. Experiencing the ups and downs of history, finally, on December 2, 1957, the Lao People’s Democratic Republic was founded, and it is also the day of the Independence Day of Laos, the capital of Vientiane.
- Political regime: The Lao People’s Democratic Republic.
- Laos is the only country in South East Asia not contiguous to the sea. It is bordered by China to the north, Cambodia to the south, Vietnam to the east, Myanmar to the northwest and Thailand to the west.
- Laos has an area of 236,800 km2 with a population of over 6 million (2009) using the official language of Lao.
- Laos has 3 main ethnic groups: Lao-Loum: 57%, Lao-Theung: 34%, and Lao-Soung 9%.
- On religion, the majority of Buddhists in Laos account for 67%, Christian 1.5%, other religions 31.5%.
The climate in Laos has three distinct seasons:
- The hot season from March to May: The temperature can be up to 40 ° C.
- The rainy season is from May to October, due to frequent rainfall and temperatures around 30 ° C.
- The dry season is from November to March, less rainfall and temperatures are around 15 ° C or down to 0 ° C in mountainous areas at night. This is the coolest weather in the year, less rainy season and also in Laos. During this time, the number of visitors to Laos is very crowded and is the “peak tourist season”.
Best time travel Laos
The climate in Laos is quite similar to Vietnam, which is divided into regions quite distinctly. The average temperatures range from 24 to 33 degrees Celsius.
Northern Laos (including the former capital of Luang Prabang) has a four-season climate similar to that of northern Vietnam.
Central and Southern Laos have the same climate as the Central and Highland of Vietnam but harsher in summer (hotter, drier) and more rainy in the rainy season.
You can travel to Laos at any time of the year, but before coming to know the exact season of the country to prepare sunscreen or rainwear. Laos has two seasons: summer and winter.
The climate in the Lao region is the tropical climate of the monsoon region with two distinct seasons: the rainy season and dry season.
The rainy season lasts from May to November, followed by the dry season from December to April next year, which can also be considered as the best time travel Laos. At this time, the temperature on average is about 15 degrees Celsius – 30 degrees Celsius.
How to go to Laos?
- There are daily flights from Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh City to Vientiane and some other tourist cities such as Luang Prabang, Pakse … Airlines currently flying to Laos are Vietnam Airlines, JetStars, Lao Airlines, Thai Airways … On the peak season (the best time travel Laos), you should book the airfare in advance as soon as possible.
- In addition to the airplane, the tourists often come to Laos by road and Lao Bao is the border gate with the largest number of people.
Transportations in Laos
- Public transport is not developed, taxi is only in big cities but not much because of personal means here. The cheap cars are not subject to import tax so most people in Laos buy cars. The local people used to be Tuk-tuk vehicles that have been renovated from trucks or tractors.
- Tourism along the Mekong River in Laos is one of the ways to discover the lives of the people of Laos in the closest way. The regular route is the round-trip between Vientiane and Luang Prabang or the Luang Prabang – Huay Xai route. These ships usually depart in the morning and the prices are usually not too high but may change seasonally.
In the best time travel Laos, you can visit the most famous tourist attractions as follows:
- Cities for tourism, leisure, and entertainment: Vientiane capital, Luang Prabang, Pakse City, Luang Namtha City, and Savannakhet City.
- Famous tourist attractions in Laos: Vieng Xai, Pak Ou cave, Wat Phu, Pha That Luang, Wat Xieng Thong, Chum field, Si Phan Don waterfall, Vang Vieng resort Bokeo Nature Reserve, Tham Kong Lo Cave, and Mekong River.
- Religions and beliefs in Laos are highly appreciated so the priests in this country are highly regarded
- When entering the temple, worship area or when entering the house of the Lao, guests must remove shoes, sandals to the outside, dress up properly and especially women not to wear clothes too short.
- Priests are not allowed to touch women, so if you’re a woman, be careful not to go around the priests and avoid sitting next to the priest on public transport.
- Avoid discussing religious and political issues with Laotian people and when greeting each other, they usually greet by waving or bending their heads together, the customary handshake practice is not common in Laos.
- Men and women have to go to practice once in their lives. They like to rub children’s heads, do not like strangers entering the house and touching objects. On Laotian Buddhist holidays, do not kill any animal. The market does not sell meat and poultry meat, nobody eats meat on these days.
We hope that the above experiences will be helpful for your upcoming vacation Indochina travel. Have a nice trip!