Laos is a country as yet untouched by the modern demands, stress and peace of life.Its beauty lies in the Lao people, century-old traditions and heritage, and its lush, pristine landscape.
Laos has a rich history stretching back 10,000 years. At its height, it ruled over present day Laos and much of neighbouring northern Thailand. Landlocked and laid-back, it’s a unique spin on the Southeast Asia experience. Here Buddhism permeates every facet of life, change comes slowly, and cities bed down early. The perfect place to break from office politics or put a pause in a hyperactive travel agenda, this land of mountain, mists and untamed natural beauty tempts with unrivalled peace and serenity.
Most of the year is hot and humid. Laos enjoys a tropical climate with two distinct seasons. The rainy season is from the beginning of May to the end of September, and the dry season is from October through April. The yearly average temperature is about 28 degrees Celsius, rising to a maximum of 38 degrees Celsius during April and May.
In Vientiane a minimum temperature of 19 degrees celsius is to be expected during January. In mountainous areas, however, temperature drops to as low as 14-15 degrees celsius during the winter months, and during cold nights, it can easily reach the freezing point. The average precipitation is highest in Southern Laos, where the Annamite Mountains receive over 3,000 mm annually. In Vientiane rainfall is about 1,500-2,000 mm, and in the Northern provinces only 1,000-1,500 mm.
Therefore, the best time to visit Laos is between November and April. The hot season from March to May is very dry and certain river trips are not possible.
Top destinations in Laos
- Bokeo province with Jom Khao Manilat – the Chinese-styled temple, and attractions around Huay Xai
- Champasak including the Wat Phu Temple compound, Bolaven Plateau
- Luang Prabang – the ‘Jewel in Laos Crown’
- Savannakhet with Vietnamese temples and Catholic churches, The That Ing Hang Stupa, the ruins of Khmer at Heuan Hinh (Stone House), Wat
- Xayaphoum, and the Dinosaur Museum
- Vientiane capital with Buddha park, That Luang, Patuxai Victory Monument,…
- Xieng Khouang known for Plain of Jars
Open your heart, open your mind, and let the genuine faith and generous hospitality of Laos replenish your soul.